?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Journeyman

it came out of the wordwork

Blatant marketing questions
coffee
kinzel
Wearing the SRM Publisher chapeau I say to you:

I'm in touch with the printer who did the first printing of Liaden
Universe Companion #1 ... and we're trying to figure out what we need to do in terms of reprints.

Now, as you may know, we essentially sold out of the hardcover -- we kept a few for our use, and held a reserve of a few in case shipped orders got lost or damaged.

I figure damaged books should have been reported by now, so we have 5(five) copies of the hardcover on hand (hint, let me know off list if you need one)... and we have around 62 of the trade soft covers here (some stores also have stock, I think/hope as Christmas closes in on us...).

Questions:

One: do you think there's need for more Liaden Universe Companion #1 in hardcover -- that is, would you personally be interested in having them be generally available again; would you want one, tell people they were available, give one or more as gifts, try to convince your local library to get one, tell your bookseller? This is at the $24.95 or $25.95 price point ... and all we'd need to do is order them and (and pay in advance...sigh) ...and wait 60-90 days or so to get them.


Two: If you knew we had more Liaden Universe Companion #1 in trade
softcover (at $15.95) would you want one, tell people they were
available, give one or more as gifts, try to convince your local
library to get one, tell your bookseller? Again, all we'd need to do is order them (and pay in advance....) and wait 60-90 days or so to get them.

Three: our local printer -- the place that did Gunshy -- has bought
new equipment and thinks he can do a relatively short run of a mass
market-sized book for us. In fact, the owner would *like* us to try so he can get experience. This would require us to reset and reformat the entire book, including artwork. The problem is that since we're dealing with a low-volume print run, the price might be as much as $8.95 or $9.95 for a mass market sized book (with full color cover, I think). Would you be at all in favor of this option?

Four: if we had a short run mass market option should we skip
reprinting the hardcover?

Five: is this worth worrying anyone about? Should we just let the
book go out of print?